As the beauty and skincare industry continues to evolve, new beauty trends emerge and grow in popularity daily. Dermaplaning is one of those trendy beauty treatments that many are trying. So if you have been looking for the perfect beauty procedure, it is time to check out dermaplaning. This treatment has been gaining popularity over the last few years, and it is one of the procedures that can be done to smooth out your skin.
There are several benefits of dermaplaning, and the following points are what you need to know about it.
What is Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a quick, non-invasive exfoliation treatment that removes unwanted hair. We know how frustrating tiny hairs or vellus hair on your face can be; with the help of dermaplaning, you can get rid of that peach fuzz.¹ In this treatment, a small scalpel is used to scrape off the dead skin cells. It is also known as a skin rejuvenation treatment. Skin that has an uneven texture can be treated with this technique easily.
Difference between Dermaplaning and Dermabrasion
Dermabrasion and dermaplaning are two different methods of removing the top layer of the skin. While dermabrasion is performed using a rotating device, dermaplaning uses a surgical scalpel. The goal of dermabrasion and dermaplaning is to remove dead skin cells and reduce the appearance of acne scars to give your skin a smooth, soft texture and glowing appearance.
How is Dermaplaning Performed?
Dermaplaning is a method that removes the top layer of the skin and peach fuzz. The procedure is done using a sterile scalpel. The technician cleans the skin and then uses the scalpel to remove the dead layer of the skin and peach fuzz from the skin's surface. The scalpel is held at a 45-degree angle to the skin and is moved back and forth with a gentle stroke. The accumulated dead skin and debris are scrapped away from the skin in one session of dermaplaning. The entire procedure takes only about 20 to 30 minutes. It is usually performed by an aesthetician or dermatologist in their clinic. A professional technician with appropriate training can also perform this procedure at any medical spa. The procedure is usually safe for adults, and you shouldn't experience any pain.
What Are The Benefits Of Dermaplaning?
Below are some of the commonly seen skincare benefits of undergoing this easy and effective skin procedure:
Skin Rejuvenation - Exfoliation is the process of gently eliminating dead skin cells, which results in the renewal or rejuvenation of the skin to reveal a fresh, smooth skin surface. Dermaplaning improves the skin's overall appearance by scraping the top layer of skin and rejuvenating the skin and can promote regeneration of cells, resulting in tightness and improved skin texture, giving plump, healthier, and younger-looking skin.
Reduces Fine Lines and Wrinkles - Several things can be done to deal with signs of aging, such as fine lines and wrinkles. With dermaplaning, you can remove dead cells from your face and help your skin to retain its freshness and vitality. Removing dead skin cells regularly will boost the production of collagen, which will not only help smooth out the already existing fine lines but will also help prevent new ones from forming.
Deeper Penetration of Products - We have already learned that dermaplaning scrapes off dead skin cells and dirt. Hence it makes it easier for skin products to penetrate deeply into the skin and helps with the absorption of the products. It is recommended to apply a hydrating serum or face mask that will hydrate and moisturize the skin as it can become a bit dry and sensitive after dermaplaning.
If you are receiving a dermaplaning treatment, it is very common that your aesthetician will apply a hydrating face mask right after the treatment. Dermaplaning will help the face mask absorb deeper into the skin, adding extra hydration and nourishment to your skin.
We love Sundree’s HAPPY GLOW LUCKY facial sheet masks. These hydrating face masks are infused with hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, vitamin C, and glycerin to help minimize the appearance of fine lines and hyperpigmentation while boosting your skin’s appearance.
Get Rid of Peach Fuzz - Everyone is bothered by the peach fuzz and wants to get rid of it. One of the best things you can do for your face is to take advantage of the dermaplaning services and tame this fuzz. Vellus hair is primarily invisible. Therefore, various hair removal techniques fail to remove them. The sharp blade or razor used in dermaplaning will get to that tiny hair without trouble and leave your skin looking much smoother and fresh.
Easy Application of Cosmetics - If you are having trouble with the cakey makeup or if your foundation leaves cracks after application, give dermaplaning a shot. Since dermaplaning removes dead skin, the application becomes pretty easy. With smooth and soft skin texture, you will be able to get your makeup done without worrying about it looking cakey, and surprisingly, it will last longer too. Clear and glowing skin will give you a flawless look that everyone yearns for.
Decreased Size of Large Pores - If you do not regularly cleanse your skin, the excessive sebum and oil buildup will increase pores' size and clog pores. Dermaplane eliminates impurities from your face and helps in removing excess sebum from the skin, making the appearance of pores smaller. By removing impurities and decreasing clogged pores, there will be fewer bacteria, and the chances of new breakouts and pimples will also be less. In addition, your skin will have fewer blackheads, revealing healthy, clear, and luminous skin.
Effective and Convenient Procedure - The idea of dermaplaning is pretty simple. Most beauty procedures cost an arm and a leg, and they are rather painful too, for example, waxing and threading. But many people find dermaplaning is much quicker and less expensive than other procedures as it can be helpful for more than just one skin problem. It can be easily performed at home with a few sterile tools, which makes it convenient. It is a non-invasive procedure, and there is no downtime either.
Can I Dermaplane At Home?
It is essential to follow the instructions if you want to try dermaplaning at home. It is best to have someone perform the procedure on you as this is a very delicate process.
The person who performs the procedure should do it with a gentle hand. Never use anything abrasive when you are doing it. Try to use the correct technique when performing this procedure. You can purchase a dermaplaning device for at-home dermaplaning. They are pretty easy to use and affordable. Using the proper technique, you can remove unwanted hair from the face. However, an at-home dermaplaning session might not be as effective as one that is done by a professional.
How Should Dermaplaning Be Done?
Follow these steps for better and safe results;
- Start with clean, dry skin. Use a cleanser that does not irritate your skin and removes dirt and oil from the skin, then pat dry the skin.
- Hold your dermaplaning razor or blade in one hand and hold your skin firm with your other hand. Work in small sections and move downwards in short, gentle strokes while holding the razor at a 45-degree angle against the skin.
- Repeat this process, thoroughly covering your desired sections of the face.
- Don’t use the blade on the skin surface already treated or over acne breakouts to avoid irritation or skin damage.
- Once you are done scraping off the dead skin and facial hair, wash your face and apply a hydrating serum or a hydrating facial sheet mask.
- Wear a good sunblock daily to avoid sun damage to your sensitive skin.
- Dermaplaning can be done weekly, depending on your skin’s requirements.
Risks and Side Effects of Dermaplaning
Although dermaplaning may have many benefits, there are some things to watch out for. As with any skin treatment, it is best to consult a dermatologist before opting for any skin procedure. Here are a few risks or downsides of dermaplaning:
- Dermaplaning is not recommended for those suffering from cystic acne, active acne, or people struggling with hirsutism or excessive facial hair growth.³
- There is also a chance of side effects, including irritation, redness, breakouts, and infection.
- Since a scalpel or a razor does not permanently remove your unwanted facial hair, nor do they remove the hair from its roots, the hair may regrow thicker and darker than before.
- The results depend on your hair growth and its cycle, so that they may vary from person to person.
There are countless reasons why to consider replacing your regular hair removal and skin exfoliating procedures with dermaplaning. The process is generally safe, convenient, effective, and pain-free. No chemicals are involved in the procedure of dermaplaning, and you can see the results immediately. In addition, there is no recovery period after the procedure and no downtime. However, as mentioned above, the technique may not work well for people with specific skin issues or conditions. Therefore, you should talk to your skincare specialist before proceeding with the procedure.
- Villines, Zawn. (2017). ‘What is vellus hair’, Medical News Today. Accessed August 30, 2022. Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319881
- Migala, Jessica. (2020). ‘What Is Collagen? Health Benefits, Food Sources, Supplements, Types, and More’, Everyday Health. Accessed August 30, 2022. Available at: https://www.everydayhealth.com/skin-beauty/collagen-health-benefits-food-sources-supplements-types-more/
- Mayo Clinic. (2022). ‘Hirsutism’, Mayo Clinic. Accessed August 31, 2022. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hirsutism/symptoms-causes/syc-20354935